YES Exchange Program

Yes i am here again. After months of constant struggle of dealing with bunch of paperworks, presentations, essays, i (finally) am officially accepted as one of 85 Indonesian students who receive scholarship from U.S. Department of State as an exchange student. This program is called Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study or YES. We are going to live in US for almost a year with a host family, attending an American Highschool and getting involve in any community service to promote cultural exchange and religion understanding. (for those who are curious about this program just go to http://yesprograms.org/)

Before our departure to US, we had Chapter orientation and National Orientation where we were given many information, tips etc to survive the year ahead as an exchange student. I personally feel thankful toward all the kakak volunteers who have worked really hard as the committee of our orientation programs. At first, i thought this orientation would be just another usual 'orientation' we had in common Indonesian School where seniors try to scare the freshmen and show off their seniority status. But Bina Antarbudaya has proven to be a respectful organization because i could see the sincerity in each of volunteer's eyes. That's why i felt so touched and it made me want to be a volunteer when i go back from US. 

My most memorable part of our national orientation camp was of course the Grand Talent Show 'Derai Cinta Nusantara'. How all 117 students of AFS program worked really hard to present a grand talent show in only 4 days during Ramadhan. We slept really late because we had to practice and had to fast during the day. I was in dancing team and i just found out that i actually have this passion in dancing. I did not know that i would have enjoyed dancing this much and i promise you it was great. I can actually dance and it wasn't bad. Our sleepless nights and sweats were definitely worth it. I was extremely satisfied. I kinda felt like a Korean trainee who was about to debut. The feeling was indescribable. 

However,August 5th of 2013 has become another historical day for me. I went from Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur (There, we had to literally run in flash to catch the connection flight to London). Then flew 13 hours to Heathrow London then another 6 hours to Washington DC. I feel like i got the lessons well during our orientation camp. I feel like i am ready to leave my home, my family, my friends. Its just a year anyway. I am used to it as a boarding school student. I even feel ready to be left behind by my friends since they're going to graduate before me. Now its all in my hands.Its all up to me whether i want to make this journey great or screw it up. I am cherishing this feeling. This sense of ultimate control in my life.

Being in control always makes me thrilled and empowered yet anxious at the same time. Now, how do i want to turn this journey into something great? Lets see what i have in my mind.

With Nabila and my Group Leader during National Orientation

With my hilarious friend Dindi at Soekarno Hatta International Airport
 
Pre Departure Dinner with US Vice Ambassador for Indonesia

At Heathrow Airport London with my Kenyan friends
Finally arrived at Washington DC. Finally breathed the breezy air of US

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Marxist Analysis : Bitcoin as Capitalism’s Latest Fetish of Commodity

Perempuan dan Dialog Antar-Agama: Pengalaman Forum Kerukunan Umat Beragama (FKUB)

Meneguhkan Lagi Peran Akal, Kebebasan dan Toleransi: Memperimbangkan Tawaran Mustafa Akyol